Monday, April 21, 2008

The One about Rain

*this blog was written in 2006 during the annual summer drought that we had. Since it's been raining lately I thought I would re-post it for all to read*

So I was thinking about hearing God. What does that sound like? And then it hit me. What does God sound like? *Drop*


........I'll explain

In February, I bought a house. I moved in and began the wonderful world of home owning. It was an accomplishment to say the least. Well the first thing you learn when you own a house is that you are responsible with the upkeep of it. After all, one of my biggest concerns I've had since Feb was that I'd get a letter from all of my neighbors saying that the weeds in my yard were larger than the trees and that I'd have to move out due to the ugliness of my yard. For real, I actually have spent time worrying about that! It's sad, I know.

So it really hit me hard when there was dry weather for over a month. Do you know what happens to grass when it's dry for a month? It's turns brown, then white, and it cracks under your feet. I have to admit, i was now the owner of home with a dead crackly yard.....i was devastated.....*Drop*

That's the background....let me bring it back to current day. Yesterday was a tough day. Not a tough day like, someone hit your car and then you get home and someone else ate the last cupcake. It was a long day with a lot of work to do and not finishing it. My wife Mollie had the same day. So much to do. No relief in sight. Mollie had a grad school class last night and afterwards she needed to go back to her job in order to finish getting ready for teaching school. I agreed to pick up dinner and meet her there.

You ever have a long day like that? You are just tired and all you want to do is go home and go to bed. I was feeling that. I was thinking that. Sitting in the drive thru at Chick-Fil-A, and just wishing the day was over. I was next in line. My arm was already out the window in preparation of paying and grabbing my food. I looked out over the short pump mall and watched the lightning in the sky. If that didn't totally match how I was feeling. My frustration was beginning to overwhelm me, and I said it. I don't know why I said it but I did. maybe my thoughts were on the dead grass sitting in my front yards but I said it...OUT LOUD! in my car in the drive thru of Chick-Fil-A. "God let it rain." It hadn't rained all month. Countless storms had come and gone without rain. I didn't expect it to rain. But for some reason my plea was honest. I wanted God to make it rain. "God, let it rain."....*Drop*

I pulled my arm in the window and stared at the beaded drop of water now in the middle of it. It can't be. I stuck my head out of the window. The water must have blown off of the air conditioner on the roof. It couldn't be rain. I scanned the windshield for more water to be sure. Nothing. Seeds of doubt planted themselves in my heart. The lightning went on in the distance....That's what it was...air conditioning.........*Drop*....there it was...right in the middle of the window. This can't be....this can't be. I moved up and got my food and began to leave.....*Drop*........*Drop*.....*Drop*....*Drop**Drop**Drop**Drop**Drop**Drop**Drop*

It was raining. No air conditioner...no excuse for doubt....just rain. I drove to Godwin and by the time that I got there it was pouring. I wanted to jump out and dance in it...but it was lightning and my brain told me to find cover. Once I got to cover, i just turned around and watched it....

Here's what I thought....5 minutes ago I said one sentence to God. "Let it Rain." and within 5 seconds a raindrop hit my arm. It takes longer than 5 seconds for a rain drop to reach the ground. Could it be that that raindrop was meant for my arm? You are probably saying...Jon it was probably gonna rain anyways...and i know that it probably would have. But the fact that the line of storms traveled thousands of miles to short pump just in time for a rain drop to hit my arm 5 seconds after I pray for it really took hold of me.

Could it be a coincidence, sure, could it be God revealing something about life....definitely....in the following moments I took time to pray and something was put on my heart..."I'll take care of you. " That's what God was saying to me...was it audible?? No. Do I know that it was God? Yes.

Before writing this post I was reminded of the verses in Mathew 6 (25-34) where Jesus talks about how God will take care of us no matter what....one line stuck out to me...."If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?"

You see God made the grass and he will take care of the grass with rain even though one day the grass is going to die anyways...How much more will God take care of us His beloved creation? That's awesome.

So in the end, this whole thing wasn't about rain watering grass, it was about God watering my soul. You see on days like yesterday, my soul becomes dry. I tend to not spend time with God because I feel that I don't have time. My soul becomes dry and crackly....But last night in the midst of a downpour, i realized that God is here to water my soul. He's here with a water that doesn't just quench thirst but so much more...

I guess i should end my story (which is 100% true), but i have a couple of questions for you.

1. Is your soul dried and crackly?

2. How is God speaking to you??

He is absolutely amazing!

Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment