Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Waiting on God Part 1

I hate to wait. Period. I like everything to happen quickly and smoothly. I look for the shortest line at the grocery store. I pick the shortest lane at a red light. I always look for the internet connection that will allow me the fastest downloads. I am very much a product of today's "give it to me now" society. Last night I went to a mexican restaurant and was frustrated when it took the waiter 4 minutes to get to our table. Our food came about 3 minutes after we ordered. That made me happy! I hate to wait.

And yet here I sit, waiting. I'm waiting on God no less. I find myself in an interesting position. I'm annoyed that I have to wait but then again it is God. At this point I don't have a job or even a lead on a job. I'm just waiting. Sure I'm putting my name out there and trying to network where i can but it always leads me back here to just sitting in my chair and waiting.

I think that God might be telling me something. I need to wait more often. I need to wait on Him and for Him. In my desire to get everything as quickly as possible I've tried to eliminate all of the waiting in life. But when it comes to God, I should always be willing to give up the fast track and wait for Him. We have made our lives so busy that we no longer wait on the one who gives us everything in the first place. Even when I worked at a church I kept busy because that's what I was supposed to do. Keep busy, get things done. It's remarkable how our lives can suddenly become so busy that we neglect to wait on what God has for us.

As I sit here and stare out of the window on a rainy day, I think, and hope, and pray that from now on I can just stop and wait on God. Maybe that's what this time off is all about. What do you think?

in Him,
Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment