Wednesday, February 6, 2008

My Little Secret

Everyone has a secret. Yes, even you. I have a secret as well. We live our lives and we try desperately to hide our secrets from the world. Well I can't hide any longer. It's time for me to spill my secret to the entire world. Okay, here goes. When I'm at home all by myself, sometimes I'll close the blinds so that no one can see into our house. I turn on some music. I get myself pumped....and then I play air guitar....whew. That's a load off of my chest. It's true. Air guitar has been my secret joy that I have kept secret since I was in 7th grade. In high school I actually owned a guitar which I would play without strings! Oh the embarrassment of it all.

What brought about my sudden confession you ask? This morning I was indulging in my secret obsession while I was listening to an old school Reliant K album. I was midway through a song when I realized that I was way into it. The words to the songs were hitting me and I was singing them straight to God. The whole time pumping my arms pretending to play an instrument that I own yet can't play. I was worshiping God....playing air guitar?!?!?! An amazing thought (which I've heard a thousand times) hit me. You can worship God anywhere...doing almost anything!!(sinning excluded) I must be honest, I bet that I look like a complete idiot standing in my house playing an imaginary instrument and singing. But As I praised God I bet He was smiling. Maybe He was even laughing at what I was doing. But I'm sure He was happy that I was worshiping. In the Bible right before David became king, he was exiled to live in caves and to run for his life. When the time came for him to come out of exile and to take the throne, he danced in worship before the Lord. And i'm not talking the electric slide or (even worse) the soulja boy dances. I mean an all out "i'm-so-overjoyed-with-God" type of dance. That's worship!

So many times we try to fit worship into a tiny box like singing 3 songs in a church service or youth group, but worship is so much more. It envelops our entire lives. Every minute of every day gives us the chance to worship our King. So perhaps we should all take out our cases, blow off the dust, take out our air guitars, and worship like crazy.

what do you think?

1 comment:

  1. I embrace the idea of worshipping in all that we do, wherever we are. Other idea worth commenting on here is that we all have secrets. Totally agree on that. We all succeed, fail, and continue on together.

    One further note.. maybe you should invest some time and learn to play that guitar.

    ReplyDelete